Cannabidiol oil, a plant derivative, popularly known among the folks as a wonder drug, working miracles. People use it in various diseased states like anxiety, depression, inflammation, chemotherapy-induced nausea, vomiting, neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinsonism, Alzheimer’s disease, etc. It contains no THC proportion, which is notorious for causing high symptoms. Since this product provides a number of benefits, it is only likely that many would ask whether CBD oil expires or not.
The CBD products are available as gummies, cookies, sprays, tinctures, lotions, creams, etc. One of the advantages of using CBD oil in the conditions mentioned above is that it has lesser abuse and addiction liability, making it fit for medicinal purposes and up to the standard.
Now getting to the point, does CBD oil expire?
The answer is a big fat Yes! Like any other consumer product, CBD oil also has a shelf life, varying from 24 to 48 months. Over time, CBD oil loses its striking features like flavor, quality, and potential to cure diseases. Therefore, it is always advisable to choose and buy a quality product, confirm the expiry date on the label, and look for the ingredients used.
Factors responsible for the durability of CBD oil:
- A high-quality product derived from a well and healthy-grown plant containing top-notch ingredients is commendable to buy because it tends to last for a longer time and serve its functional purpose.
- One must assemble and pack CBD oil dark, dusky containers with little exposure to sunlight and air. This way, it is safe from the disclosure to light and one can preserve it from degradation.
- The CO2 extraction process carried out under cold conditions helps extract the CBD oil with high durability and better potential.
- Another factor responsible for the long continuance is to keep the CBD oil under cool, dry, and temperate conditions. That’s why it is best to keep it at room temperature with mild to moderate moisture. Excessive moisture speeds up the deterioration of valuable ingredients and ends up with a soggy texture.
- Oxidation is an adversary to the shelf life of CBD oil. Thus it should be tightly sealed when opened once to minimize oxygen exposure.
- Storage in warm and hot areas. Such conditions favor bacterial pathogens’ growth, and lose the actual beneficial characteristics.
- Immersing contaminated utensils like the spoon, etc., not only introduces bacteria into the bottle but makes it unsuitable and incompetent for future use too.
- Finally, it is essential to look for the best product alongside the certification of analysis to ensure that it has undergone specific testing with definitive results. We can pick and choose a regulated, quality product that meets the demands in this manner.
Signs of CBD Oil Spoilage
Like any other product, CBD oil undergoes degradation and expires. It loses its potency when exposed to unfavorable conditions and specific factors that accelerate its degradation, like excessive exposure to sunlight and UV radiation, extremely high temperature, moisture, and oxygen in the air. If the product is out of date, it is undoubtedly not appropriate for any further use. Below mentioned are a few signs to depict the CBD oil spoilage:
CBD oil, after being spoiled and damaged, presents with a characteristic unpleasant odor. By taking a whiff, it smells poor, changing from earthy to rotten and disgusting.
The smell and visible changes in texture and color can be seen with the naked eyes. Its color changes from average brown to black and loses its smooth surface. The CBD oil then appears cloudy, milky, and more curd-like, lacking its fluidity.
A taste test is sometimes performed to ensure the rancidity of the oil. If there are no taste or flavors, it is most likely to be rancid and should not be consumed.
Once it is sensed that the CBD oil has expired, there is no going back to fix it, and it should be thrown and trashed straight away.
When the CBD oil expires, it does not cause any illness or disease served. Instead, it loses its potential and effectiveness to produce desirable effects as a medicinal or therapeutic drug. But it is important to know the expiry date of the product you are using, and the manufacturing companies should be thoughtful enough and are urged to mention it on the product label.
Besides the deep confabulation on the expiration of the CBD oil that its remarkable purposes in various diseases can cease to exist, CBD oil, even when freshly extracted and purified, has its adverse effects that cannot be kept undiscussed. A few of them are as follows:
- Stomach problems
- Appetite variations
- Weight changes
- Mood changes
It is essential to keep in mind and consider the following factors while consuming CBD oil:
- Accurate dosing
- The plant source
- The potency and efficacy
The detailed discussion depicts that CBD oil does expire like any other product consumed. The Mean life of quality service depends on the packaging and storage conditions.
It is advisable to buy an authentic product from a renowned manufacturing company with the expiry date and other ingredients mentioned on the label. Substandard quality and cheap products are not only unreliable but unsafe as well.