Cannabis is legal in several US states, but some states have specific regulations and restrictions for marijuana possession. Florida’s residents will want to stay on top of the laws and be aware of any potential changes. Are you searching for Is Weed Legal In Florida?
Whether you are looking at how to qualify for medical marijuana in Florida or anything else, you can find all the crucial information from here. Continue reading to know Marijuana Laws in Florida.
Is Weed Legal In Florida?
Marijuana is legal in Florida for users possessing medical marijuana cards. Medical Marijuana recommended by a physician is legal in some instances in Florida.
However, Adult-use or recreational marijuana possession, use, transport, and purchasing are illegal. Possession of 20 grams of marijuana or more is a misdemeanor and is punishable by up to a year in prison and a fine of $1000.
Compassionate Medical Cannabis Act allows ill patients to use low THC cannabis. The office of compassionate use – OCU manages the state medical cannabis program under the department of health. HB-307 Florida Right to Try Act legalizes the low THC and medical cannabis in Florida state.
Where Is It Safe to Purchase Weed In Florida?
Medical Marijuana Treatment Center – MMTC issues the registry identification cards to patients for purchasing marijuana. For purchasing cannabis, a patient must possess an ID card issued by MMTC. Also, MMTC has licensed some dispensaries to provide quality medical cannabis products.
Patients and caregivers can purchase a 35-day cannabis supply of smokeable flowers up to 2.5 ounces. Also, a patient can purchase a 70-day supply of other cannabis edibles and topicals.
Marijuana and marijuana delivery devices used for medical purposes are exempt from state sale taxes. Retail, sale, distribution, and storage also exempt from sales taxes.
Licensed MMTC dispensaries deliver medical cannabis everywhere in Florida. MMTC may apply some delivery charges. You can search licensed dispensaries in areas, including Orlando, Miami, and Tampa.
Where Is It Safe to Consume Cannabis?
A person can not consume marijuana in the following places:
- School campus
- Public parks
- Aboard a motor vehicle
- Public bus
However, you can consume cannabis in your apartments or private property. Driving under the influence of cannabis is illegal.
A patient can consume cannabis edibles, smoking, pills, capsules, and vape pens. Moreover, patients under 18 can not smoke marijuana flowers unless the physician diagnoses the patient with a terminal condition to smoke cannabis.
Florida’s Marijuana Laws define cannabis as low THC or medical marijuana. If you want to qualify for low THC, flower, seed, resin, and any other product must contain less than 0.8% or less THC. Also, the percentage for CBD must be 10% by weight.
Patients and caregivers can hold a 70-day cannabis supply at any time in original marijuana packaging. For smokeable cannabis, the possession limit is a 35-day supply of 2.5 – 4 ounces of marijuana.
Also, a patient can not transport marijuana anywhere in Florida. The only caregiver can transport marijuana to their patients.
Medical Marijuana In Florida:
Still struggling to know Is Weed Legal In Florida?
Marijuana is legal for medical purposes only with regulations and laws by the Florida government.
A patient must be diagnosed with one or two medical conditions to receive a marijuana administration device. Here is the list of qualifying health conditions for medical marijuana.
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis – ALS
- Crohn’s disease
- HIV/ AIDS
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinsons disease
- Post-traumatic stress disorder – PTSD
- Chronic non-malignant pain
Patients Qualification & Registry Process:
To qualify for medical marijuana, a patient must be diagnosed with any qualifying condition. Also, the patients must be permanent or seasonal Florida residents. The age limit for both patient and caregiver is 18 years.
- Meet the physicians for diagnosis. A patient can search for the physician on the Florida Department of Health Website.
- If the patient is under 18, then a second physician must confirm the diagnosis.
- A physician must enter all the information of the patient into the registry and approve an order.
- Add caregiver name, if needed.
- The OMMU will send an email with information for further processing of the Identification card
- The email will include a patient ID number
- A patient can submit an ID application with $75 as a fee via mail.
- Also, the patient will receive the application approval email
- Patients can purchase and possess medical cannabis with MMTC approval email
Caregiver Qualification & Registry Process
A patient can mention the name of the caregiver during the registry. The caregivers can purchase the medical cannabis with an ID card on the behalf of their patient. The caregiver must be 21 years or older. A patient can designate one caregiver at a time. Also, the age of the caregiver must be 21 years.
- A patient must designate the caregiver’s name in the registry identification card.
- The OMMU will send a confirmation email to the caregiver too.
- Also, the caregiver ID number will be in this email.
- A caregiver can also apply electronically with $75 as a fee.
- The OMMU will send the application approval email to the caregiver.
- Also, a caregiver can purchase medical cannabis with an MMTC approval email.
MMTCs will submit cannabis samples to a licensed testing facility. The lab will test the sample for:
- Heavy metals
- Water activity
- Residual solvents
If you are a Florida resident you can possess medical cannabis under the set limit. Always make sure to follow the laws and regulations by the MMTC & DOH. People of various US states search for the weed legality and restrictions on possessing cannabis. You can quit your search about Is Weed Legal In Florida by reading this cannabis legalization news.